The following two rules are most important. Violation of either of these rules will result in permanent termination of membership as well as removal of certification for any rank held within our dojo.
I. Karate is for defensive purposes only.
II. Students may not teach others what they have learned without the explicit approval and supervision of a member of the dojo teaching hierarchy.
The remainder of these rules constitute proper dojo behavior and protocol. Students should familiarize themselves with this list.
- Students must always display courtesy and respect to peers and instructors.
- A bow of respect must be performed by each student and instructor before entering and leaving the training area (dojo).
- Bow before addressing a black belt or asking a question. Instructors should be addressed as Mr., Mrs., or Ms. and their last name or by their correct titles.
- Please let an instructor know if you will be taking an extended leave of absence.
- Students who arrive late for class should open the door to the dojo slightly, and wait quietly for permission to join the class.
- Students arriving 5 minutes late for class will not receive attendance credit for that class.
- Students arriving 10 minutes late for class will not be admitted to that class.
- NO consumption of alcohol prior to class. Any student found to have the smell of alcohol on his/her breath, or who appears to be intoxicated, will be asked to leave at once. Violation of this rule may result in the termination of one’s membership.
- NO eating or drinking in the dojo.
- NO smoking in the dojo or on the premises.
- There is to be absolutely no horsing around in the dojo or in the dressing rooms.
- Tuition must be paid on time.
- All students are required to be members of Shidokan International.
- Information concerning workshops, clinics and tournaments will be posted. Students are welcome to attend these events, but must seek permission before attending other events or visiting other schools.
- Students are not permitted to practice techniques which they have not been formally taught by an instructor.
- Only kobudo students will be allowed to handle weapons.
- Absolutely no shoes in the training area.
- All students and instructors must wear a “traditionally cut” pure white karate uniform (gi). The school patch must be worn over the heart, and the uniform must be clean and in good repair. This uniform must be an acceptable brand (REI or Shureido) and should be purchased through the dojo.
- During the summer months (June, July and August), students may wear an approved Rising Sun Martial Arts T-shirt, in the appropriate color for their rank, in place of the gi jacket. Exceptions: the full gi should be worn for kumite, rank testing, and formal events such as visits by guest instructors.
- All female students should wear a solid black or white T-shirt or Sports Bra under their gi tops. The RSMA T-shirt is also acceptable for this purpose.
- No hats, shoes or jewelry allowed in the dojo.
- Finger and toenails must be kept trimmed and clean. Proper hygiene must be observed by all.
- Sparring is prohibited unless supervised by a Dan-rank (adult black belt) instructor.
- All students and instructors must display a bow of courtesy to each other prior to and upon completion of mutual exchange of hands.
- Safety gear must be worn. This includes head gear, mouth guard, and hand, foot, and shin pads. Foul cups are mandatory for all male participants. Chest protectors are available and encouraged.
- Light contact only. No contact to the head, throat, spine or groin.
- Take downs and throws are prohibited.
- Blind, swinging techniques will not be tolerated.
- Students are not permitted to spar with students of other schools.
- Uphold the spirit of the Dojo Creed at all times.